Thursday, March 24, 2011

Where are the Chinos?

It does feel a little different from a normal vacation because we will be here for 3 months.  The first thing that I was really insistent upon was finding out where the markets are, especially the Chinese stores, because we cannot be eating out for every meal.  I would miss my bok-choi way too much!

Therefore, instead of running straight to the Cathedral (largest in the world), or the Alcazar (palace), we bee-lined for the Mercado al Chino.  Also, along the way I wanted to explore the underground market where some of the freshest seafood and vegetables can be found.

The streets made it quite hard to navigate because none of them run in a normal grid-like fashion.  So every time we were trying to get somewhere today, we seemed to get lost and would walk for ages.  I also (unwisely) was trying to break in some new sandals, so that did not help matters.  It did lead to our making a few surprise discoveries - such as the Plaza San Francisco, and the Cathedral.  That's the good part about being in Europe; if you get lost you might find something better than what you were looking for.

However, when we did make it to the underground market, I was so happy!!! The place is a foodie heaven.  It's also nested in this giant honey-comb like building - nothing I've ever seen before.


We passed it last night and I swore I thought it was an amphitheater where concerts are held.  But nope, just stalls and stalls of the freshest seafood and just-picked veggies.  The prices were also so reasonable! This puts all SF farmer's markets to shame.  People take their food seriously here!

I bought half a kilo of the biggest shrimp I ever laid eyes on.  Tonight, Marco and Lucio will feast!!

2 comments:

  1. Is that a laundry machine in the kitchen behind in the pic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. The kitchen was not large enough to contain a washer however. Why do you ask?

    ReplyDelete