Thursday, March 24, 2011

First Night

Landed today from Gatwick.  The most stressful thing was making sure that Ryan Air didn't charge us its ridiculous 35 euros per kilogram of overweight baggage.  Marco arranged and rearranged the cases for an hour last night to make sure everything was evenly distributed.  This was purely by feel because we didn't have a scale to weigh the bags!

Big lesson learned: do not pack for a long trip immediately before moving house.  I wanted to stuff everything I thought I might need into my luggage so it didn't take up more space in storage, or worse still, get tossed out.  This meant that we were lugging two 23 kilo cases plus two solid carry-on cases and my backpack plus Marco's computer bag onto the plane.  Loco!

All was well though - the maximum was 20kg, and both bags weighed in at 20.1 and 20.9 kilos - somehow Marco did the distribution perfectly!!!

After we landed, we immediately called a taxi to get to our apartment because it was already 8pm and getting late.  The taxi driver told us that he could not drive all the way to the door-step of the apartment because it was pedestrian only in that part of the city.  I was not pleased but the fact that I was able to deduce all of that from a long stream of Spanish did mollify me somewhat.

Old town Sevilla at night was all a maze of narrow cobbled streets, brightly decorated shops, and lots of tourists milling about.  Unfortunately the four pieces of huge luggage detracted from the experience somewhat.  We got a little lost, and I asked for directions twice before we found the right place.

Finally! Home.  It's absolutely lovely - very quaint, on the 3rd floor with access to a terrace.  The kitchen is totally stocked with everything we'll need to cook - even an adorable espresso machine. And there's even a bidet in the bathroom - not going near the thing but so quaint! There's also lots of very well planned wardrobe and cabinet space.  It's smaller than our SF apartment but the space is better arranged.  The separation for the dining-room makes all the space useful.

For dinner, we went to the restaurant literally three apartments down from us at the corner - Bar Europa.  We  ordered Pork cheeks in a wine reduction (out of this world delicioso), a goat-cheese and apple salad (manzana granny), and a delicate cod in a creamy sauce.
Pork Cheeks with Wine Reduction

Goat-cheese and apple salad 



Every bite was delightful, particularly because I was ravenous at that point.  I am also really starting to appreciate the fact that restaurants stay open past 12pm!  Little known to me at the time, but this restaurant is also one of the most highly recommended tapas joints on the Lonely Planet Guide, and it's right outside our door.

We are really going to enjoy our stay here!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm the first to comment? YAY. Are pork cheeks exactly what they sound like? You can have my portion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marco and Lucia. I'm so excited for you both. I'll look forward to the updates and hope your Spanish improves every day, so when you get back,we can Speak in Spanish all the time ;). Remember if you don't use it, you'll lose it!!! Que la pasen de lo mejor!!!! I have a question...are you actually introducing yourselves as Marco and Lucia to locals???

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great question Diana! Because it took a while for me to get used to that. However, tonight, for the first time, when the waiter asked me what name to put down on the waiting list, I said - Kath.. I mean Lucia. Lucia and Marco. So there you go! I did it :)

    And JPey - of all of the tapas I've tried so far, the pork cheeks were actually the best dish I've had so far. I will take your portion gladly haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time, it will be Marco for two! I love that name. As good as the food has been, by far the best were the huge fresh prawns we got from the market that Lucia cooked with her Chino sauces!
    -Marco

    ReplyDelete