Monday, March 28, 2011

Enfermedad de Calamar: Sickness from Squid

Saturday night, I cooked a piece of squid that we had just bought from the seafood market.  I originally had only wanted to buy half of it, but after saying "la mitad" a few times, the lady only cut it up for us and made us buy the whole thing -- how am I suppose to express that I only want half of something?

It looked perfectly good and fresh at the market.  However, after we got home I should have been more suspicious because when I was cooking, Marco said that he could smell it even in the bedroom. I only thought that it smelled like the ocean - isn't that how seafood is supposed to smell? 

So the long and short of it is that I ended up getting food poisoning.  Marco, however, was completely fine - what I wouldn't give for his iron stomach.  However, he didn't get away scot-free because he's been my caretaker, making me rice porridge and running to the farmacia, bless him.  I have half a mind to run back to that market and yell at the lady who sold me that squid - but that will have to wait until I take some more Spanish lessons.  El Calamar es mal somehow doesn't fully express my anger.

Lesson learned: do not purchase seafood from a stall with few customers, and throw away seafood if it makes your home smell like the ocean.  Better safe than sorry.

One more day of recovery time before the adventures of Marco y Lucia resume!

No comments:

Post a Comment