Wednesday, June 1, 2011

More Gaudi

I think if I spent my entire trip just tracking down pieces of Gaudi's architecture across Barcelona, I would have had a great time.  He is such a genius that he really does transform an ordinary apartment into something from another world, a dragon from the outside and an underwater kingdom once you step into the threshold.

View from the center of the house,
which opened up to let in as much light as possible into each room
We were absolutely enchanted with Casa Batllo, which was exactly this apartment that Gaudi designed for a lucky businessman in Barcelona on one of the most desirable avenues at the time for the nuveau riche to flaunt their newly acquired wealth.  Gaudi threw himself so heart and soul into the project that he even designed the wallpaper, the furniture, and the space on the roof.

I hope some of these photos will go part of the way to capture the eccentric beauty of this strange and fantastical house:








Another Gaudi that we visited is definitely my favorite of his work, from the moment that I saw it on my last trip in 2009.  Parque Guell was designed for a one of Gaudi's wealthy friends and is located at one of the highest points in the city.  Gaudi actually moved on site and lived there for over 20 years while he oversaw the completion of the fabulous park.  What amazes me is how many structures and designs that you stumble upon as you make your way through the park - it's almost like unraveling secrets one after another.

The use of these blocks of stone was very characteristic
of his work in the park


As always, colorful mosaics showed up in nearly all his work



 

No comments:

Post a Comment