Monday, April 11, 2011

Four Days Crammed Into One

Today was definitely the most action packed day that we've had in Spain so far.  I still can't believe how much we crammed in, and with such a late start!   The morning started on the chilly side, so we decided to take advantage of the hotel pool before setting off.

We only planned on staying at the beach for one night, and we wanted to make the most of having the car before heading back to Seville.  So what does Marco suggest -- teaching me how to drive with a stick-shift on the rental car!  We spun around in that parking lot so many times that Marco got dizzy.  I'm so proud that I did not grind the gears a single time!! Learning how to start the car without stalling on first gear was the most challenging part - but I think I have the hang of it now, as long as no one is behind me is pressuring me to move right away.  I'm still a bit timid about pushing down too much on the gas in fear of zooming into a wall, or in coming traffic. All in all, it was a fun hour.

Next, we decided to go back to Cadiz seeing as the first stop yesterday was so rushed.  I loved it every bit as much this time.  We stumbled upon the Torre Tavira - the highest point in Cadiz at the top of a watch-tower.  There was also a camera obscura at the top of the tower, which allowed us to have a 360 degree tour of the entire city inside a dark room.   An image of the city was projected onto a huge white screen that could be manipulated up or down to focus, just like a camera lens.  It was incredible to see clothes being dried on clothes-lines fluttering in the wind on that screen, just like a miniature photo that was magically moving.

We then covered the entire city on foot in search of a coffee shop that also served good pastries - it was Sunday and of course, the open establishments were mostly Cervesarias. Finally, we came across a little place tucked away in a quiet but sunny alley.  After snagging a table outside in the sun, Marco ordered a drink with a delicious sounding name - Cafe Bonbon - which was an espresso with condensed milk (Vietnamese coffee in disguise).  When my drink came out, as soon as I tasted it, I said - this much be French!  And it was actually made by a French person! I knew because it was the most amazing, frothy, creamy Cappuccino I had ever tasted.  It was so good I almost considered taking a walk around the block and coming back for another - despite my swearing off coffee since the bar exam.  The desserts were also out of this world; almost worth going back there just to taste everything on the menu.

By then, it was getting to be almost five, and I was anxious to get back before it started to get dark.  However, as soon as we approached Seville, Marco insisted on driving around more to get a better sense of the city before we returned the car.  Much to my surprise, he insisted on driving right into the heart of the old town to get to our house - he gallantly insists that he did this so that I could use the bathroom in the comfort of our apartment but I secretly know that it was for me to drop off our luggage.  Getting in is the easy part, getting out was freakishly difficult.  I explained earlier that the old town is a maze of tiny streets, well, they are so tiny that our car (which is seriously miniature) could only scrape through by the hair's width.  In fact, we had to both fold down our side-view mirrors to squeeze through.  Even Marco professed to some heart palpitations during this experience, you could just image the mess I was in.

After making it out alive, and unflattened, I was very much hoping to get rid of the car.  But Marco was much rejuvenated by the thought of food, so we drove around some more in search of a Chinese restaurant.  We then ate far too much and had to walk it all off, taking an entire two mile lap around the Guadalavier river, which was really stunning at night.  Of course, naturally, we stopped to take some photos on the bridge.  At this point, Two randomers stopped by and pointed to our camera, then pointed back at themselves.  I said, totally confused "You want me to take a photo of you...with my camera."  And they nodded!  I looked at Marco - did these crazies forget their camera want us to email them the photos or something?  But it turned out that they wanted me to be in the photo with them! Babbling on about "photo with a local Seville-people." Hmm...looks a lot like a Guido and a Guidette to me. Anyway, that's how this special photo came into being.

By now, it was approaching 11pm and we still had to find the train station where we had to return our car and fill up on gas.  Of course, this is when we get a bit lost, and a little more so trying to find the very poorly sign-posted rental car agency in the dark.  But of course, it all works out with 20 minutes to spare before the place shut down.  Luckily by then I was too exhausted to feel that nervous.  Just so happy to finally.... zzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment